Sunday, September 29, 2019

Eurogamer.net: September 29, 2019 at 12:20AM - The making of Discworld Noir

I was still at school when the first Terry Pratchett Discworld story appeared. My friends and I were all fans of fantasy and science fiction, whether it be video games, movies, trading cards, table-top RPGs or, of course, books. To us, these were no stranger things, yet this odd little novel, bracketed within a colourfully chaotic wraparound cover instantly became a favourite in the classroom. It was called The Colour Of Magic, and it began the saga of incompetent wizard, Rincewind, resident of Ankh-Morpork, the largest city upon the Discworld, a round circle astride four elephants and the Great A'Tuin, a giant sea turtle. Yes, it still sounds bonkers, and despite the gentle ribbing (ok, not always so gentle) of our favoured genres, The Colour Of Magic became an instant hit.

As a ZX Spectrum owner, I naturally made a beeline for the 1986 Piranha/Delta 4 graphic text adventure based on this book. But further episodes were not forthcoming, and I had to wait until 1995's DOS, PlayStation and Saturn Discworld game to scratch that Ankh-Morpork itch once more. Discworld 2: Missing Presumed...!? followed a year later, but it wasn't until 1999 and Perfect Entertainment's third Pratchett adventure that interactive Pratchett finally clicked for me. Maybe it's the combination of the author's vivid world and a cinematic genre I love, a bizarre amalgamation that proves a fertile bed for comedy; or maybe it's because everyone involved was at the peak of their powers, at one with both material and technology.

One such participant was Chris Bateman, lead writer and designer on Discworld Noir. "That was an astonishing opportunity to give to someone so early in their career!" he exclaims, before adding a surprising admission. "But I confess that I had only read The Colour Of Magic when I joined Perfect, and I was a bit disappointed by it. I loved the first part, inspired by Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, but otherwise it seemed a little random." However, having begun work on Discworld 2 shortly after joining the developer, Bateman soon fell in love with the series. "I know a lot of fans love the Rincewind stories the best, but the City Watch for me is the heart and soul of Terry's world." Unsurprisingly, this band of dishevelled urban guardians would go on to have a key part to play in the next game, Discworld Noir.

Read more



from Eurogamer.net

No comments:

Post a Comment