Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Eurogamer.net: July 09, 2019 at 06:00AM - Take a knight for a hop in Hoppenhelm

I don't believe the fable about the tortoise and the hare. Every time I read it I'm like, "Nope, wouldn't happen - the hare would smash it." It's a tortoise! I had a tortoise growing up and it was really slow. I had rabbits too - not hares, admittedly, who has hares? - and they can shift if they want to. Actually we had this really brilliant rescue rabbit called Kevin - good name isn't it? - who used to pick fights with the neighbourhood cats. It's how he met his end, Kevin - he had a running feud with the street's hardest cat. The tortoise never did anything like that, just dragged himself around eating cucumber. Really slowly.

Maybe that's why I can't take it easy in video games. I can't go slowly because I don't want to, it's boring. And I feel like those cheeky game developers bloody know it, and play on it. They know that if they give me the keys to a game's speed, I'll trip myself up far more than they ever could.

Hoppenhelm does this - it's what got me thinking about it. Hoppenhelm is a mobile game by Swedish team Bun Gun. It's a 'one life, see how far you can get' game with high scores.

Read more



from Eurogamer.net

No comments:

Post a Comment